SOURCE: The Guardian
The FBI has long disrupted and discredited civil rights leaders. It should put its authorities to better use by holding officers accountable.
by Max Felker-Kantor
The history of liberal law-and-order reveals that procedural reforms implemented on top of a structure of policing that has been empowered to protect property and control “disorder” are not only doomed to fail but will produce the conditions for more protest and resistance.
by Alan Singer
The use of federal troops to enforce domestic law and order has usually served the interests of big business and white supremacy; recent calls to send in the troops are not concerned with protecting freedom.
The Police Have Been Spying on Black Reporters and Activists for Years. I Know Because I’m One of Them.
by Wendi C. Thomas
Wendi C. Thomas is a black journalist who has covered police in Memphis. One officer admitted to spying on her. She’s on a long list of prominent black journalists and activists who have been subjected to police surveillance over decades.
by Gautham Rao
The real impediment to Trump's use of the Insurrection Act is historical precedent and norms; If Trump doesn't have any regard for them, there is little to stop him from following through on his pledge to deploy the military in American cities.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
First time a white supremacist organization Is targeted by terrorism designation.
SOURCE: Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
NARA approved ICE’s request to begin destroying the records in December 2019, despite ongoing concerns and reports of widespread mistreatment of individuals detained in ICE custody.
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire