Florida legislators unanimously approved Bethune to replace Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith in the Capitol statuary in 2018.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar is a leader of a group of Senators who hope to increase the representation of women in the Capitol statuary.
SOURCE: New York Times
The bill would remove from public view monuments to figures associated with the Confederacy or the causes of slavery and white supremacy that motivated it, including a bust of Chief Justice Roger Taney, author of the notorious Dred Scott decision.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Virginia will no longer be represented in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall by the military leader of the Confederacy.
SOURCE: Boston Review
by William Hogeland
Even as the United States declined to enforce the Constitution in the former Confederate states, demolishing black citizens’ lives and liberty, first Lee and then the ten other Confederate statues arrived in the hall, with others that have since been replaced, and were embraced by the collection. The whole federal government approved.
- Erika Lee and Carol Anderson on Myths and Realities of Race in American History
- Banished Podcast: Sunshine State's Descent Into Darkness
- Caroline Dodds Pennock on The Indigenous Americans Who Visited Europe
- Why Can't the Democrats Build a Governing Majority? (Review of Timothy Shenk)
- Victimhood and Vengeance: The Reactionary Roots of Christian Nationalism