SOURCE: Legal History Blog
Legal Historians as Authority in West Virginia v. EPA
This is a note identifying the legal history sources cited in both Elena Kagan's dissent and Neil Gorsuch's concurrence in the court's ruling limiting the power of the EPA to limit emissions.
Hope And Skepticism As Biden Promises To Address Environmental Racism
"The federal government has known of environmental injustice for decades. Presidents have promised to address it. But a legacy of weak laws and spotty enforcement has left Black, brown and poor communities mired in pollution and health hazards."
SOURCE: The Guardian
Erin Brockovich to Joe Biden: Are You Kidding Me?
"Are you really listening to the science or are you listening to an industry insider, who is controlling the message?"
SOURCE: Washington Post
A proposed EPA rule prioritizes industry profit over people’s lives
by Mona Hanna-Attisha
Limiting access to peer-reviewed science undermines the agency’s effectiveness.
How Republicans came to embrace anti-environmentalism
The deep roots of conservative opposition to the environmental state, explained.
Doing History in the Age of Trump
An interview with Felipe Fernandez-Armesto on the perspective historians offer.
At EPA museum, history might be in for a change
Different administrations tell very different stories about the past and the present.
Is America Going the Way of Norse Greenland?
by Fred Zilian
Like the Norse, the Trump administration is showing indifference to long-term interests.
SOURCE: Moyers & Company
Scott Pruitt Will Make America Great Again — For Polluters
by Bill Moyers
In this exclusive web essay, Bill Moyers takes on President Trump’s choice to lead the Environmental Protection Agency: Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt.
Historian Brian Allen Drake says Barry Goldwater, whatever his other policies, was an enthusiastic environmentalist
by Brian Hamilton
In an interview he notes that Goldwater even supported the establishment of the EPA.
The Secret History of the EPA
by Carol Van Strum
The EPA, created with much fanfare by Richard Nixon in 1970, was an agency crippled at birth by inadequate funding, political hypocrisy, and laws protecting industry profits above all.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"