Woman who took Stone of Destiny back to Scotland diestags: obituaries, BBC News, Scotland, Stone of Destiny
A leading figure in a plot to return the Stone of Destiny to Scotland more than 60 years ago has died.
Kay Matheson was one of a group of four students who took the relic from Westminster Abbey on Christmas Day 1950.
The stone was taken back to Scotland from where it had been removed by Edward I in 1296 as a spoil of war.
Ms Matheson, who drove a car carrying the stone through police road blocks, died in Wester Ross at the age of 84....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."