Conservatives Cheer South Carolina College for Killing Women’s Studies CenterBreaking News
tags: womens history
The folks at the D.C.-based, conservative-leaning organization Concerned Women for America are downright chipper about a South Carolina college’s decision to scrap its women’s studies center and take up teaching the constitution.
Last Tuesday, the University of South Carolina Upstate announced that due to administrative trimming, the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies would go.
On the same day, the South Carolina Senate voted to “punish” USC Upstate, in the words of The Associated Press, for assigning books on homosexuality, mandating that the public university spend the same amount – in this case $17,000 – on teaching the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and the Federalist Papers.
The center had previously run into gay-related trouble for having hired performance artist Leigh Hendrix, who goes by the stage name Butchy McDyke, to do her show “How To Be a Lesbian in 10 Days or Less” for a springtime forum on LGBTQ cultural mores. State Republican legislators were not pleased. “If they’ve got extra money sitting around to promote perversion, obviously they’ve got more money than they really need,” said GOP S.C. Sen. Kevin Bryant, according to The State newspaper. The show was canceled.
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers