The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises PressHistorians in the News
tags: Republican Party, political conventions, Donald Trump, 2020 Election
For Trump, one danger is that he is seen as unable to get the country under control.
Many experts are sure this spells trouble, and maybe electoral doom, for Trump.
Allan Lichtman, a history professor at American University and one of the few prominent observers to predict Trump’s 2016 victory, said the president is “really in much worse shape than he was five months ago.”
Referring to the cumulative effects of COVID-19, economic disruption and social unrest, Lichtman added that, for Trump, “there will be an electoral price to be paid for what is going on in the country.”
The poll that drew Trump’s ire on Monday showed Biden leading the president 53 percent to 43 percent among registered voters. Two months previously, Biden’s edge in a poll from the same organizations had been just 2 points, 49 percent to 47 percent.
comments powered by Disqus
- Native Americans and Polynesians Met Around 1200 A.D.
- Campaign Urges NASA to Rename the John C. Stennis Space Center
- Confederate Statues Were Never Really About Preserving History
- Carl Reiner’s Life Should Remind Us: If You Like Laughing, Thank FDR And The New Deal
- A Teacher Held a Famous Racism Exercise in 1968. She’s Still at It.
- ‘If I tell people about what happened, I honor my ancestors.’ How the Pandemic is Helping a Slavery Historian Develop a K-12 Lesson Plan on African-American History
- In Memoriam: Historian and Politician Ivo Banac
- The Legacy of Black Lives Matter
- When American Politics Turned Toxic (Review)
- Unions Are Essential for Eliminating Racism