Baseball and slavery collide in RichmondBreaking News
tags: slavery, baseball, Richmond
Richmond’s political and business elite are lining up behind Mayor Dwight C. Jones’s new plan for a $200 million multiuse development project that would include a new minor league baseball stadium in the historic downtown area of Shockoe Bottom.
Jones’s plan was announced only yesterday, but it is already touching many sensitive nerves in this city, where history can be cruel.
The scheme would put a stadium for the AA minor league club the Flying Squirrels adjacent to one of the most notorious slave trading sites in U.S. history, a slave cemetery and Lumpkin’s Jail, which specialized in imprisoning slaves....
comments powered by Disqus
- Tom Engelhardt Writes Personal and Historical Essay: Turning 75 in the Age of Trump
- Historian Drew Gilpin Faust Pens Personal and Historical Essay: "Race, History, and Memories of a Virginia Girlhood"
- WBUR Is Belatedly Giving Credit to a Female Historian for a Segment
- Behind the men on the moon, there were thousands of women
- Professor Rebecca Gordon Pens Essay Revealing Her Abortion and Examines Ongoing History of Roe v. Wade