Nursing Clio Project Connects Health, Gender and HistoryHistorians in the News
tags: public history, womens history, medical history
Abortion. Transgender rights. Maternal mortality. Many of health’s most pressing issues are intertwined with gender — and a collaborative, peer-reviewed project looks at the tangled roots that connect our bodies to past and present.
Group blog Nursing Clio, which recently celebrated its 10-year anniversary, was founded by a group of scholars with an interest in the intersections of gender, history and health.
It describes itself as “a gathering site for historians, health care workers, community activists, students, and the public at large to engage in discussion of current and historical debates over medicine and the gendered body.”
That broad and ambitious scope lends itself to fascinating and varied takes on everything from war to obesity. Recent articles include historian Amanda Brennan’s look at the term “having it all” and its relationship to abortion, eugenics and race; archivist Vicky Iglikowski-Broad’s exploration of the history of menstrual products in the United Kingdom; and undergraduate Jesse Morales’s article on diversity in children’s television and its connections to mental health.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Enduring Appeal of the BBC's "Desert Island Discs" – the Longest Running Interview Show
- White Conservative Parents Got an Educator Fired, then Chased Her to Her Next Job
- Teaching Black History in Virginia Just Got Tougher
- If Ending Roe Isn't Enough, SCOTUS May Blow Up the Regulatory State
- "All the President's Men": From Misguided Buddy Flick to Iconic Political Thriller
- Belew to Maddow: Fascist Groups are "Nationwide Paramilitary Army"
- Far Right Extremism, Paramilitarization, and Misogyny – Statement of Alexandra Stern to the January 6 Committee
- Northwestern Prof and Evanston HS Teachers Engage Illinois Black History
- Jamie Martin: The Rotten Roots of the IMF and World Bank
- Review: Gary Gerstle Argues the Pandemic Killed the Neoliberal Era (But Democrats Don't Know It Yet)