SOURCE: New York Times
From a Celebration of the First President to a Celebration of the Presidency
Nothing, from the date to the name to the punctuation, has been straightforward in the celebration of Presidents' Day (which is officially observed by the federal government as Washington's Birthday), says biographer Alexis Coe.
Politicians Quote Abraham Lincoln a Lot. Historians Say They Don't Always Do His Words Justice
by Olivia B. Waxman
Kate Masur, Eric Foner, Manisha Sinha, Nina Silber and Thavolia Glymph describe the selective and deceptive quotings of Lincoln that have sprung up in this political climate and suggest some futher reading.
SOURCE: USA Today
Go out and shop the Presidents Day sales. It's what George Washington would have done!
by David Head
Washington made fashionable purchases that shaped his sense of self and helped him think through the colonies' relationship with the mother country.
Alabama omits Civil War leader Abraham Lincoln from Presidents Day holiday
The reason for the Alabama variation stems from old grudges birthed in the Civil War.
On President’s Day Let’s Remember Lincoln for This
by James Tuten
Channeling George: On Friendship with the Opposite Sex
by Thomas Fleming
Reflections on George Washington, Valentine’s Day and Presidents Day.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
When Presidents Day Was Bicycle Day
Long before Washington's Birthday was marked by car sales, Americans celebrated their first president by pedaling.
“So Help Me God” and the Presidential Oath
by David B. Parker
Yet another legacy of the Cold War
The Secret of Abraham Lincoln’s Success as a Writer?
by Rosemarie Ostler
He had a reputation as a country bumpkin, but he knew his grammar inside out.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
What Would Lincoln Do?
by Richard Brookhiser
Modern-day leaders could learn a lot from our 16th president.
Is It Presidents Day or President's Day or Presidents' Day?
by HNN Staff
The bouncing apostrophe bespeaks a certain uncertainty.
HNN Hot Topics: President's Day
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History